Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Old Traditions, New Memories

My sweet Great-Grandma Scott taught me how to make homemade yeast rolls many years ago. I keep the tradition alive on most holidays making sure that I bake them for her son, my sweet Poppa Bill.
We had the opportunity for Thanksgiving to serve the people of our community by providing Thanksgiving lunch at our Church to people without family near by or those that simply needed a hot meal. What would thanksgiving be without homemade yeast rolls? It wouldn't be Thanksgiving in our house.
My sweet mom came over and she, Connor & I got to work on a huge double batch of rolls. Connor was such a big helper.

Measuring out the 12-14 Cups of Flour! Whew!
Making sure all the flour stays in the bowlStarting the mixing process....look at that sweet patient Lita!
Since Rick and I have dated, this has been his role in the roll making process, he ALWAYS punches down the risen dough...since he was at work, his son took his place...
...And boy did he enjoy himself!
I failed to get any pictures of the finished project...probably because this is such a lengthy process, by the time we were done, I was wiped out! I was always SO amazed at my Great Grandma Scott...not only did we always have fresh rolls at her house, but she got up in the morning early enough to make them for breakfast (and she always made a few sweet rolls too!). Did I mention this is at least a 3 hour project....she certainly was up early to feed us well!

I've always loved traditions and making new memories, but I think now that I have my own child and another on the way, I have become more sentimental and I truly cherish the sweet old traditions becoming new memories in my family!

My family is flying up to Chicago this week for ThanksMas or ChristGiving this week. More new memories to be made, and Connor & I will certainly be making another double batch of homemade rolls!

No comments: