Sunday, June 13, 2010

No Jesus or Know Jesus...

It's been a long time coming...judge us if you'd like, but we have really never put Connor in childcare at Church. When Rick lead worship in TX, I felt that it was important for Connor to experience that. So, for the first time in our married life, Rick is not part of a Church staff & we have been on the hunt for a Church that resonates with our hearts and a place where we felt we could truly connect and serve. As we were 'Church Shopping,' my parents were so gracious to keep Connor so we didn't have to leave him with total strangers in the nursery.
All of that to say, we have finally found a Church we are extremely excited to be plugged in to and we finally decided to take Connor to Church with us and try to put him in childcare.

Last night and this morning Connor & I talked all about the fun he would have at Church playing with new friends and learning about Jesus. This morning on the way to Church our conversation continued. It went something like this:
Me: "C are you ready to go play with new friends?"
C: "Go see boy?" (2 days before we had some people over from Church who had 4 kiddos & he wanted to see one of their sons).
Me: "Yes go see your new friends and learn about Jesus!"
C: "NO Jesus."
Me: "No Jesus?"
C: "Hi friend my name is Connor."
At this point I was still perplexed that he said "NO JESUS!" What? That will be a good first impression on his Sunday School teacher!

So, he seemed quite excited. (I guess I should tell you we had amazing friends who worked in the Childcare at our Church in Longview. My sweet friend Jenn would tirelessly try to keep C happy and occupied in the nursery...but regardless of her multiple attempts and an abundance of patience, he NEVER made it through an entire service.)
So, going into today, I certainly had my doubts...after all, he was at a new Church, with new friends & new teachers...he knew only very few people...
When I took C to his class I warned the teacher of our 'situation.' She honestly probably thought I was CrAzY! She told me not to worry that he would do just fine. I told her not to hesitate to put my number on the screen if he started crying and I would come get him.
To my surprise, C went straight in and began playing with all his new friends.
At one part during worship, I had my eyes closed while I was singing...& all of a sudden I realized I couldn't do that...they may put C's # on the screen & I would have to see it to know to go get him. Anyhow, an hour & 15 minutes later, NO # on the screen. Went to pick up my child and low & behold he is sitting on the floor playing Thomas the Train with one of his new friends. The saddest part of the story...he had taken one of his own Thomas toys into class... When I went to get him he was playing with Skarloey, one of the engines we DO NOT have, so of course he cries when I tell him we have to leave Skarloey at Church and we can visit him next week. Gotta love the toddler stage!

I do LOVE this stage & every stage for that matter, but I really do love seeing my child enjoy life & have so much fun interacting with other kiddos.

But really, "NO JESUS!?!" We've gotta work on that. I tried to convince myself he meant "know Jesus!"

Have a Happy Blessed Week!

No comments: