Monday, March 3, 2008

UNbelievable...

...is the only word that can possibly describe my first day back at work. It's not so much that it was amazing or anything, it was the fact, that you WILL NOT BELIEVE how it began.
Okay, here we go...I got up a 6 am to get myself and Connor ready to get out the door by about 8. Things went WAY TOO smoothly. I showered, ate breakfast, got ready (put my waterproof mascara on) & Rick fed Connor & I got him dressed (no mishaps there). Yeah, I bet you thought that Connor peed on me or something...no, that would have been great compared to what happened...We're all ready, get in the car & even leave before Rick. Connor was in such a happy mood. He is such a laid back baby. We talked on the 10 minute ride to his Nanny Traci's house while I attempted to keep my composure. Well, on Monday in East Texas, it POURED. So, we enjoyed the rainy ride on this new adventure for the McElmurry family. I got to Traci's house, and she wasn't quite back from dropping of her boys at school (since I was early), so I decided to go ahead and get Connor out of the car and take him into the house since the rain had let up a little. Picture this...me, all dressed up, ready to go back to work (in heels), trying to hold an umbrella and get a car seat out. All was going well, until Traci's dog came to greet me. I had forgotten that this is the dog that is SCARED of thunderstorms. So, as I am trying to get Connor out of the car, Baby, the dog, jumps in my back seat. I was able to pull him out and get Connor out, but then, before I could shut the door, Baby jumps back into my car. So, now I have Connor in one hand and it is raining much harder by this time. I decide to just shut my door and get Connor in the house out of the rain. Since he was still a happy baby, I leave Connor inside, and go back out (in the POURING rain) and attempt to get the dog out of my car. By this time he has climbed from my back seat over the console to my front seat and plants himself in the driver's side floorboard. Remember, I am dressed up ready to go back to work. As the rain continues to POUR, I attempt to get Baby (not a small dog by the way) out of my car. I pushed, I prodded, I kicked him (yes, I was mad) to no avail. I go back inside, attempt to collect my composure and check on my child. Connor is still just chillin', huge smile and all. So, back outside I go. After QUITE a fight and a little bit of frustration, I was FINALLY able to PULL this dog out of my car. Couple of issues here...Traci is still not home, I am soaked from head to toe, and my car is soaked and muddy and smells like WET DOG!!! When Traci gets home, she walks in to find me, dripping wet on her kitchen floor, crying. So, I pick up my child, kiss him goodbye, and drive back home to get ready all over again. I know this is quite a lengthy story, but it was too crazy not to share. I am still dumbfounded that this really happened. The only thing I regret is not taking a picture with my phone of the wet dog in my car. So when I got home, I took a picture of the other wet dog, me. The first one is the first picture I took. WHY I was smiling, I don't know. The second picture is the one that Rick likes. He thinks I look probably how I felt....just a little ticked off. Anyway, happy day! Besides that, it was a great day back to work (when I finally got there). Also, Connor had a great first day with his Nanny Traci. She was amazed at what a sweet easy child he is. How Blessed am I!?!

5 comments:

TeamRB said...

I'm sure this makes for a much funnier story now that its all over! I hope the rest of your first day back, got better and better! -Glad to hear that Connor was so good though...

Unknown said...

You don't look mad in the last picture, just like you have a secret. Aren't you glad I woke up praying for you on Monday. Can you imagine if I hadn't bee? You all are doing a wonderful job!
I love you and continue to pray that Our Heavenly Father will make your path staight.
God bless you McElmurrys!
Lita

Brandy said...

Bless your heart! I am so sorry that all happened, but it is a funny story now. :) Hopefully your Tuesday was a little less eventful!

Brandy

Anonymous said...

Oh what a story for Connor later!! He will love it! Bless your heart, I know that was a hard day for you to begin with! It will be a day you will never forget!
love banty

McElmurry Family said...

I'm sorry that it was a rough day for you. I'm proud of how you handled it. I think I would dragged the dog to the pound.